1 cup olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
4 medium potatoes, cut in chunks
- In a large non-stick skillet, heat the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, until light golden. Remove onions from oil and set aside.
- Add the potatoes to the oil and season with salt to taste. Reduce the heat to medium and cook the potatoes for about 15 minutes, stirring, until they tender.
- Meanwhile, preheat broiler, and place rack about six inches from the heating element.
- Raise the heat to medium high and cook the potatoes for 1 to 2 minutes longer, until they are lightly browned. They should be crisp on the outside and soft on the inside.
- Remove the potatoes from the pan and add to set-aside onion.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Add the potatoes and onions, mix well, and set mixture aside for a few minutes.
- Heat the skillet over high heat and ensure the oil is evenly distributed. When it is very hot, pour the egg mixture into the pan and shake gently to spread mixture evenly and prevent sticking and burning. Cook omelet on high for about 1 minute.
- Reduce heat to medium and continue cooking omelet for 3 to 4 minutes longer, until eggs lightly set in the middle.
- Remove skillet from burner and place entire skillet in broiler for approximately 3 minutes. The omelet should be set, and top should be lightly browned.
- Remove from pan and let cool. Cut into wedges and serve.